[Kde-games-devel] Re: Move to git

Frederik Schwarzer schwarzerf at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 15:30:57 CET 2011

On 31/01/2011, Stefan Majewsky <stefan.majewsky at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as you probably noticed, the Git transition is moving faster than
> ever, so the following questions come up again:

Yay for that (/me already broke something yesterday ;))

> 1. When do we want to move?

As soon as possible.

2. Do we want a monolithic repository or split repositories per game?

I am still in favour of the split approach. While one monolithic repo
seems better for changes like the replacemenmt of a library, which
need changes in many games, in the long term it seems more reasonable
to me to have one repo for one game.
It will likely be several hundred megs big.

With split repos it will be way easier to include new games to the
module or to move games from the repo to extragear or playground
without messing with history.

We still might want to drop several of the older unmaintained games
and with a monolithic repo there will not be a size reduction.

Well, there are reasons for and against both approaches ... Splt repos
seems more flexible to me, hence my fondness. :)

Johannes worked on the rules files for both monolithic and split
repos. I do not know in what stage his work is.

Regards