[Kde-games-devel] Re: Move to git

Parker Coates parker.coates at kdemail.net
Tue Feb 1 16:27:30 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 03:29, Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:40 AM, Parker Coates wrote:
>> As I have mentioned before, for packaging reasons I don't think any of
>> our games can depend on a shared "unstable/private library",
>> regardless of repository structure.
>
> We already have private libraries, e.g. libkolfprivate

Sorry that was a bad choice of words on my part. I know we have
private shared objects like libkolfprivate.so of libkcardgame.so. What
I meant was that we can't have private libraries that are shared among
multiple games.

> (and what is the BC policy of libkmahjongg, again?).

Presumably, the same as libkdegames: try really hard not to break BIC,
if possible. If it's unavoidable, do so, but bump the SOVERSION and
notify packagers. As far as I know, neither libkdegames or
libkmahjongg has broken BIC since 4.0, though.

> It's just about not installing headers, or if they're installed, put them into namespace
> Experimental, see e.g. [1].

How are kdelibs experimental parts usually packaged? As a separate
package entirely or just as a separate library inside the kdelibs
package? Either way, once a library goes through that official
"experimentalisation" process it certainly isn't private any more,
even if its use is discouraged outside the module.

Anyway, I'm no expert on the matter so I should probably stop talking,
but I would highly encourage you to discuss it with kde-packagers.

Parker

PS: I'm not trying to hold back Tagaro or anything. I just really want
to make sure that things aren't added haphazardly. Historically,
KDEGames doesn't have the best track record there. :)