[Kde-games-devel] Re: Active Games?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Apr 15 14:47:25 CEST 2011

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 21:23:51 Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 4:21 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > if there is interest on the part of developers here, let's organize a
> > meeting at your convenience (irc, skype, whatever) and discuss how we
> > can make this happen.
>
> I definitely am interested, but I don't see a meeting with me
> happening too soon. After all, I've got a thesis to write. However,

fair enough :) enjoy the process!

> I've (as you might have observed on Planet KDE) got a WeTab mainly for
> testing Plasma Active and KDE Games on the form factor, so I can

yes, which is really cool.

> review incoming patches appropriately (and do some work myself
> whenever possible).

great ... i wonder how long it would take to "active" most of the games.. hum
hum hum .. i may take a look later..

> > not all KDE Games may be appropriate for or of interest to Plasma
> > Active, and that's ok. some may really be more suited for
> > keyboard+mouse usage. but i'd love to see the ones that are
> > approrpriate get their share of the spotlight in Plasma Active.
>
> I think only few games are really really not adaptable for the
> touchscreen.

agreed...

> We have about a dozen games which are already working
> fine (input-method-wise) on a touchscreen, like KDiamond, Bomber. Some
> need some work to support touch events, like Palapeli.

that's good news; the biggest thing will be replacing menus and configuration
dialogs (both tend to be frustrating to use with touch and don't really fit
the paradigm).

unlike many other desktop apps, however, i think it would be a big improvement
for most of the games to not rely on menubars :)

> Some need
> additional interface, like KNetwalk: The different mouse buttons need
> be replaced e.g. by buttons on the screen to select what tapping on a
> cell does (rotate left, rotate right, lock).

you might need even need buttons on the screen in this case. just have one
direction of rotation with a "hold" being lock, and a tap on a locked item to
unlock it.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se