[Kde-games-devel] Re: Move Tagaro code into SVN?

Stefan Majewsky stefan.majewsky at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 14 21:18:18 CEST 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 1:02 AM, Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does TagaroAudio offer any advantages over Phonon, such as
> better reproduction quality and synchronisation to game action
> for short sounds?

If OpenAL can be used, playback should be instantaneous, because
TagaroAudio will load the sound at startup. (That means of course that
its scope is limited to short sound effects. Ambient music can be
played with Phonon, which /should/ work in parallel.)

This does of course not apply when the Phonon backend is used, but
that will really just be a fallback that is not meant to be used in
production.

> Is it as easy to code as Phonon?

Tagaro::Sound sound("tada.wav"); //once, e.g. in window ctor
sound.play(); //is a slot

That's the whole API which is relevant for you. (There is some more to
support OpenAL's positional playback and set the master volume.)
APIDOX are also up at api.kde.org under playground/games.

> And is it likely to be more stable in the long-term?

I don't see the play() method changing any soon.

Greetings
Stefan