[Kde-games-devel] Re: Move Tagaro code into SVN?

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 01:02:53 CEST 2011

On Thursday 14 April 2011 1:36:00 am Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> I know that this proposed procedure bypasses kdereview effectively,
> but big parts of Tagaro are already source-copied into kdegames
> somewhere, like TagaroAudio in Granatier and parts of TagaroInterface
> in Kolf. Also, KGameRenderer shares much with TagaroGraphics, so there
> is not much new code in there. Besides, I will of course issue a
> public review via kdereview when the library API is stabilized and
> goes public.

Does TagaroAudio offer any advantages over Phonon, such as
better reproduction quality and synchronisation to game action
for short sounds?  Is it as easy to code as Phonon?  And is it
likely to be more stable in the long-term?

KGoldrunner has had poor experience with Phonon over the last
three years as versions of Phonon frequently change and now I have
had to turn KGoldrunner sound off altogether in the KDE 4.6 release
of KDE Games.  The KGr sound just does not work for me at all any
more, but works OK for the Phonon developers.

I have only just now found time, since January, to investigate the
problem with Phonon, but a reliable and simple fallback position
(from Phonon) would be very useful to have.

All the best, Ian W.