[Kde-games-devel] Re: klickety moved to kdereview

Frederik Schwarzer schwarzerf at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 13:21:10 CEST 2010

[Mauricio Piacentini - Dienstag 26 Oktober 2010 14:43:49]
> On 10/26/2010 09:35 AM, Frederik Schwarzer wrote:
> >
> > Oh, me too. I thought Extragear apps can be released with the main modules
> > by the release team if the author wanted to. If that is the case, these games
> > will be released with KDE. But you have a point. They will not be part of
> > KDEGames until KDEGames is switched to Git.
> >
> > I will write an email to the release team asking them about the possibility
> > of having part of the KDEGames module in Git while the other part is still
> > remaining in SVN.
> >
> > My intention when telling people to use git.kde.org is not to exclude them
> > from the main module in SVN but to drag the main module to Git. :)
>
> I know, my previous email was not directed specifically at you, sorry if
> it looked like that :)
> Several KDE applications are already in git, right? I am not sure about
> the plans for the next release, but it seems in inevitable that it will
> have to combine apps living both in SVN and Git. If you can email the
> release team to clarify that this will be great.
> My main concern is that we make sure we are not preventing people from
> contributing and joining the team. Where the application code lives (in
> which module, etc) will be increasingly irrelevant as we switch to a
> distributed SCM world.

So, no answer yet from the release team. No surprise afer < one day.
However, with the feature freeze tomorrow, I would like to propose a
slightly modified plan.
   1) host the Knights and Klickety on git.kde.org
   2) copy it over to SVN regularily
This is what the Kate developers do. This way, the games will be part of
the module but still enjoy the advantages of being rather independent.
The trickiest part of that plan is to have CMakeLists files that work
under both conditions.

The inclusion of Klickety is on the feature plan, so here is no hurry.
If Miha (in CC) wants Knights to be part of the main module as well,
we should decide this quickly and add it to the feature plan by tomorruw.
We then have ~two weeks to the hard freeze to work on the migration.

Does that sound reasonable to you?

Regards