[Kde-games-devel] Re: music again

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Tue Oct 19 15:29:46 CEST 2010

Hi Przemysław,

thanks for this. See below for my comments.

On Tuesday 19 October 2010 12:09:48 Przemysław Piłaciński wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have recently finished writing the music for The Quantum Sea game
> being made by the Gluon team, and I'm planning to start another
> soundtrack this year. If anybody here would be interested in
> cooperation, feel invited. I'm thinking of doing something in a
> different style (i.e. not electronic) this time.
>
> You can listen to a demo of the QS music here (the final mix, as well
> as the sound effects will be made when the game is ready):
> http://www.pilacinski.art.pl/news.html,
>
> or here (download and a few words about):
> http://www.pilacinski.art.pl/works.html

OK, here's what I've ran into when downloading it:

1. The download interrupted every megabyte or so and had to be resumed (I used
wget -c for that which resumed automatically). The download speed was not good
- less than 30 KBytes/s. I tried on two different hosts - one in France and
one my home machine and they both yielded the same problem.

2. The download is an .mp3 file. The MP3 file format is encumbered by patents:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3#Licensing_and_patent_issues . Until these
patents expire (see the wikipedia page), there is a problem using this format.
I hope the music for the game itself will be distributed in .ogg . Can you
comment on this?

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish