[Kde-games-devel] Regarding Mancala

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Mon May 3 16:42:13 CEST 2010

Sorry for the delay. During the last meeting I said I would have a
look at Mancala in kdereview, but was unable to do so until this
weekend, where I finally had a chance to do it.
IMO, it is a nice game. The animation for the pieces is cool, it
implements seven variations of the basic game, and the docs give a
nice introduction about this type of game and the regional differences
for each variation. It ran smoothly for me, and fills most of the
requisites from kdereview I think. So I would recommend it for
inclusion, after we discuss one thing that I feel is missing: theme
configuration.
Currently there is no way to configure the themes: there is one for
each game type, properly separated in discrete .svg files. But I
believe the existing themes can be greatly improved, but for this our
artists would certainly like a way to select a new theme while still
being able to keep the default. The current scheme of hardcoding the
theme name is not really good for this, and I would recommend
implementing KGameThemeSelector at least so we can configure what is
displayed, if possible.
If others could give their opinion about this I think we can reach a
conclusion if implementing this functionality is a blocker for
inclusion on the main module or not. I think it is, but I do not
remember exactly when we discussed this, probably a couple of years
ago :)

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini