[Kde-games-devel] GSOC: New AI for Ksirk

Xavi Valls flamejat at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 12:11:35 CET 2010

Hello, my name is Xavi Valls, and I am a student from Castelló de la Plana,
Spain. I would like to take part on the next Google Summer for Code, and the
project "New AI for Ksirk" from KDE has caught my eye. However, it looks
like it has no mentor yet, so I am concerned about this project's priority.

I am currently on my 4th year of Superior Computing Engineering at Jaume I
University in Castelló de la Plana (Spain), which is equivalent to a
masters' programme first year in the new European Union's framework plan for
Higher education (colloquially known as the Bologna Plan).
I have been programming using C++ for the past four years using
object-oriented programming and learning datastructures, and I am looking
forward  to learning Qt, which I started working with last year, but had to
quit due to lack of time.

I am taking Artificial Intelligence courses at University, and I am really
enjoying it although it seems to be an applied-to-games Algorithmics (which
is a subject I loved last year). I am looking forward to learning more about
it throughout the Summer :)

Ksirk looks like a free computer implementation of Risk, one of the games I
played the most during my childhood. I still play it from time to time,
meeting with old friends in a house by the beach. I really like that game.
:)

I am going to look for the code right now, but if you have some indications
about the datastructures that have been used, search algorithms,
heuristics... any information would be welcome. :D

I also tried to contact with kleag at free.fr, but time is running out and he
couldn't reply me in the past twenty-four hours.

Do you think I stand any chance? I think I would really enjoy Google Summer
for Code and I would most definitely make the most out of it.

Thank you for your kind attention,

Xavi Valls.