[Kde-games-devel] Generic Card Game Framework

Parker Coates parker.coates at kdemail.net
Fri Mar 12 01:10:09 CET 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 15:06, John Schneiderman wrote:
> On Thursday 11 March 2010 09:34:47 Parker Coates wrote:
>> For the last few months, I've been working on LibKCardGame. Basically,
>> I took much of the card handling code out of KPat and have been trying
>> to make it as generic as possible for reuse in other games. It's still
>> a bit rough at the moment (there's no API documentation, some parts
>> may still be too KPat-specific, the API changes fairly often, etc.)
>> but I still think it'd be a great place to start. I would also greatly
>> appreciate more users to point out the more crufty parts.
>
> I have a generic card game framework that is available to use now. It
> currently uses Qt4, but was always set to be moved to KDE. Would you be
> interested in working towards combining the efforts here? I'm looking to move
> it to KDE and you're looking for a generic card game framework. You can view
> where it currently stands on http://kardsgt.nongnu.org. In another thread I
> have placed a link to the alpha release of the next version. I look forward to
> you reply. BTW anyone feel free to respond as well.

Hello John,

I'm pretty busy at the moment with schoolwork, so I doubt I'll have a
chance to try out KardsGT any time soon. I did have a brief look at
the screenshots and API docs, though and have a couple quick comments.

LibKCardGame is focused only on the visual presentation and
interaction aspects of a card game. Just display, animation, mouse and
keyboard input. It makes no attempts at game rules, players, AIs or
anything else of that nature which I see are provided by KardsGT. I
have no plans to add such thing to LibKCardGame, so that one important
area of distinction.