[Kde-games-devel] Generic Card Game Framework

John Schneiderman JohnMS at member.fsf.org
Fri Mar 12 20:29:33 CET 2010

On Thursday 11 March 2010 18:10:09 Parker Coates wrote:
> LibKCardGame is focused only on the visual presentation and
> interaction aspects of a card game. Just display, animation, mouse and
> keyboard input. It makes no attempts at game rules, players, AIs or
> anything else of that nature which I see are provided by KardsGT. I
> have no plans to add such thing to LibKCardGame, so that one important
> area of distinction.

What's the thinking behind only having the visual presentation in the library?

> From looking at the screenshots, it doesn't really seem that KardsGT
> is up to the graphical quality currently provided by the card games in
> KDEGames. Can it make use of KDE's SVG based card decks? Does it
> provide scalable interfaces or animations?

The next stable release is switching to SVG for the card graphics. As the only
developer, I have focused more on getting a library set-up to easily create
new card games then to make "wow"-factor graphics. Also doesn't hurt that I'm
still learning the whole graphics stuff at the moment. :D The interfaces aren't
scaling right now, and I suspect it has to do with when I started they were
designed using the Qt Creator. So, that's just a matter of changing a few
things there. There isn't any code that does animations, but all card
movements happen by drag-and-drop. So, I imagine adding the animation code
there would be trivial.  I never said it was ready to go straight into the KDE
base, but that is where I would like to take the project. The more efforts that
can be combined, the less time it would take to bring it up in graphical
quality.

John S.