[Kde-games-devel] GSoC 2010

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Fri Jan 29 07:42:34 CET 2010

  A clarification on a few points that seem to be a common misunderstanding
about what Gluon is doing... This will be written up in a more sensible form
later, but i'm about to run out of the door, so it's a bit fast here :)

On Friday 29 January 2010 00:29:21 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On January 28, 2010, Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Eugene Trounev [it-s]
> >
> > <eugene.trounev at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I am with Parker on this one. KDEGames is in a sleep mode now.
> > > How about we yield our spots at GSoC this year to Gluon project? Gluon
> > > is active, and it aims to bring easy and accessible entertainment
> > > content to KDE, and QT platforms, which is something that KDEGames is
> > > also after. We therefore are direct beneficiaries to Gluon's success
> > > and accelerated completion. :)
> >
> > Sure, it will be cool to have Gluon. But I must say it is not really
> > integrated into the main KDE project: code is not hosted on KDE's SVN,
> > for example, and a recent post indicates that there is the intention
> > to drop usage of kdelibs and other KDE technologies for the players,
>
> given the above is true, the chances of Gluon coming under KDE's banner for
> GSoC hovers somewhere around zero.

  It of course is not - what Mauricio has misunderstood up there is that we
will likely drop kdelibs for the S60 player, and depending on the availability
of kdelibs on Maemo, that one is still up for discussion. However, the desktop
player, as well as Creator, are firmly based on kdelibs. As for the libraries
not requiring kdelibs, well, that's the same reason that e.g. TagLib does not
require kdelibs ;)

> > But at times it appears that integration
> > with kdegames is not really a goal, which is sad imo. Still, if such a
> > project means better integration between kdegames and Gluon
> > communities, I think it is a good thing.
>
> it would be great to see Gluon/KDE integration furthered, yes, even if it
> was an 'add on' to Gluon. such a project would probably fit well within
> our GSoC mandate.

  We're very much aiming for that one :)

> > KDE has plenty of slots,
>
> well, keep in mind that we always have fewer slots than good projects.

  s/good/popular/ ;)

--
..Dan // Leinir..
http://leinir.dk/