[Kde-games-devel] GSoC 2010

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Fri Jan 29 12:55:33 CET 2010

>  It of course is not - what Mauricio has misunderstood up there is that we
> will likely drop kdelibs for the S60 player, and depending on the availability
> of kdelibs on Maemo, that one is still up for discussion. However, the desktop
> player, as well as Creator, are firmly based on kdelibs. As for the libraries
> not requiring kdelibs, well, that's the same reason that e.g. TagLib does not
> require kdelibs ;)

I got this impression from the information at the most recent Gluon blog post:

http://blog.heimr.nl/ahiemstra/2010-01/whats_happening_gluon

That seems to tell that the Creator will use kdelibs, but for all
other libraries (and the players) only Qt is being considered. Good to
know you are aiming for using kdelibs in the desktop player as well. I
am not sure if it is really the best thing for Mac/Windows users :),
but at least on Linux/Unix we should probably integrate it with the
KDE SC. Still, libkdegames and other shared technology we use in the
desktop games is probably not going to be used for Gluon games, right?

>  We're very much aiming for that one :)

I realize that maybe a fraction of this sense of non-integration comes
from having the code in a separate repository. Maybe this is due to
the proposed git change, but it is really difficult for some people to
keep track of what is happening inside kdegames SVN and lists, without
having to go to other places to find out what is happening for each
separate project.

Notice that I like the Gluon architecture very much, and in the
future, who knows, it might even replace the whole kdegames module,
with people rewriting their games to run in the same player. This
would likely solve a lot of our maintenance problems. But right now it
is really a separate community, which I particularly think is not
ideal.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini