[Kde-games-devel] GSoC 2010

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jan 29 00:29:21 CET 2010

On January 28, 2010, Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Eugene Trounev [it-s]
>
> <eugene.trounev at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am with Parker on this one. KDEGames is in a sleep mode now.
> > How about we yield our spots at GSoC this year to Gluon project? Gluon is
> > active, and it aims to bring easy and accessible entertainment content to
> > KDE, and QT platforms, which is something that KDEGames is also after.
> > We therefore are direct beneficiaries to Gluon's success and accelerated
> > completion. :)
>
> Sure, it will be cool to have Gluon. But I must say it is not really
> integrated into the main KDE project: code is not hosted on KDE's SVN,
> for example, and a recent post indicates that there is the intention
> to drop usage of kdelibs and other KDE technologies for the players,

given the above is true, the chances of Gluon coming under KDE's banner for
GSoC hovers somewhere around zero.

> But at times it appears that integration
> with kdegames is not really a goal, which is sad imo. Still, if such a
> project means better integration between kdegames and Gluon
> communities, I think it is a good thing.

it would be great to see Gluon/KDE integration furthered, yes, even if it was
an 'add on' to Gluon. such a project would probably fit well within our GSoC
mandate.

> KDE has plenty of slots,

well, keep in mind that we always have fewer slots than good projects.

> I believe we should only use ours if there
> are compelling proposals.

that's not exactly how it works; we pare down our list of projects as tight as
we can and then google tells us once that is done how many of those we're
actually going to get. so this approach isn't likely to work :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se