[Kde-games-devel] GSoC 2010

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Thu Jan 28 23:58:39 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 7:57 PM, Eugene Trounev [it-s]
<eugene.trounev at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am with Parker on this one. KDEGames is in a sleep mode now.
> How about we yield our spots at GSoC this year to Gluon project? Gluon is
> active, and it aims to bring easy and accessible entertainment content to KDE,
> and QT platforms, which is something that KDEGames is also after. We therefore
> are direct beneficiaries to Gluon's success and accelerated completion. :)

Sure, it will be cool to have Gluon. But I must say it is not really
integrated into the main KDE project: code is not hosted on KDE's SVN,
for example, and a recent post indicates that there is the intention
to drop usage of kdelibs and other KDE technologies for the players,
in order to make porting easier. I think some of these decisions (or
most of them) have good technical justifications, and I believe the
project has a lot of future. But at times it appears that integration
with kdegames is not really a goal, which is sad imo. Still, if such a
project means better integration between kdegames and Gluon
communities, I think it is a good thing.
KDE has plenty of slots, I believe we should only use ours if there
are compelling proposals. Otherwise, these should go to other modules,
including Gluon.

Regards,
mauricio Piacentini