[Kde-games-devel] Kolf Art?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Sep 10 22:41:04 CEST 2009

Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> Am Dienstag 08 September 2009 21:35:18 schrieb Matthew Woehlke:
>> I think I would go with the following:
>> - turf 1+2 (normal friction)
>> - rock (low friction)
>> - sand (high friction)
>> - wall (impassible, ball bounces off)
>> - water (ball is lost on entering)
>
> Textures for the wall are currently not planned (at least for the 2D view).

To be honest, what you have right now... well, isn't what I would have
done, though it may be more accurate to traditional mini-golf. I would
have made walls actual objects (simple ones, yes, but still separate
from the height map). But that's mostly because that's how kolf1 did things.

Actually what I think would be good for "long term goal" is 3x
heightmaps (turf¹, rock, sand), water/ooze² outlets, and simple objects.

This neatly deals with the 'different friction must be different
object', plus you could do fun things like deformable sand. Water/ooze
outlets are placed at a point and fill with water/ooze up to that point.
Eventually we can do rivers, etc. (may need drains also). For simple
objects, start with boards (simple convex extruded polygons), posts, and
eventually of course windmills, etc. So you can use rocks as walls (and
there is the possibility you accidentally hit the ball outside of the
course!) or boards as walls, but you can also use boards as platforms,
routes over water, etc.

(¹ turf map needs two values per pixel; one for height, and one to
choose between turf 1 and turf 2.)

(² Why ooze? Well if we have flowing water, we can't very well re-theme
it as tar/lava, since those have very different viscosity. Also because
flowing water adds potential for water features that don't "eat" the
ball, but maybe even are needed to complete the course... something I
have seen in real mini-golf.)

--
Matthew
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no