[Kde-games-devel] Improving theme authoring for kgoldrunner

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 26 18:41:27 CET 2009

Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> A solution could be improving caching, and not loading the svg file
> unless the window size changes and the tiles need to be regenerated.
> But this still means each window resize could involve along pause,
> before everything is rendered again.

What ever happened to using raster resize on the closest cached match
and re-rendering in the background? Wasn't that planned at one point? It
would look (temporarily) not as nice, but you'd be able to keep playing
instantly after a resize.

> The hero, enemy and gold-enemy have exactly the same frames, and
> could be swapped just by renaming them. We could have, for example,
> the Hero Mummy chased by Evil Adventurers!

I think this is a great idea :-). I mean, put yourself in the mummy's
position, how do you think /you/ would feel if a bunch of people broke
into your tomb and tried to steal your stuff?

(Okay, this would work better with a different rule set... you must
eliminate enemies and put all treasures back in initial places...
enemies start out carrying some treasure and try to collect all of it...
and try to kill you, of course. Maybe you also lose if they get all the
treasure and escape ;-).)

As far as making animation easier... um, ever look into the existing
Free animation tools? I see lists of reviews every now and then.

--
Matthew
Joe: This is a big deal, because now some tiny minority has lobbied for