[Kde-games-devel] Go strategy and rules

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Sun Oct 25 09:55:40 CET 2009

There is a good reference on rules and strategy for Go at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_game  (where else?).

I guess the most important things to keep in mind are ...

- Go is more about surrounding territory (empty space) than
   capturing your opponent's pieces.

- Territory is easiest to surround near the corners (on two sides)
   then near the edges (on three sides) and lastly in the center.

- At the start of the game, space your pieces out.  Only fill in
  your fence-lines when your opponent starts to intrude.

- Do not play unsupported stones right next to your opponent's
  stones when attacking.  They will tend to get swallowed and
  GnuGo is very good at that.  It is often better to attack indirectly.

- To avoid capture, a group of stones must have two "eyes" or be
  able to make them if attacked.  "Eyes" are disconnected spaces.
  Think of a doughnut with two holes.  Your opponent can surround
  the outside, but cannot fill both holes at once.

- On the 19x19 board there are typically several territories being
  created, attacked or defended.  You have to fight several battles
  simultaneously.  The strategy involves evaluating the strengths
  and weaknesses in various areas and allocating your moves
  between them.  Is it better to attack there or defend here?

- As the board fills up and the end-game approaches, it becomes
  important to play closer up, nibbling at your opponent's fences or
  reinforcing your own.  Small mistakes and omissions can become
  very costly.

Hope this helps, Ian W.

P.S. I have forgotten too much about detailed tactics and how to
evaluate groups of stones after forty years or so and Kigo/GnuGo
can easily beat me ... :-( ... but I am hoping to re-learn fast, with
Kigo's help.