[Kde-games-devel] granatier

Mathias Kraus k.hias at gmx.de
Wed Oct 14 23:20:35 CEST 2009

Arturo Silva schrieb am Mittwoch 14 Oktober 2009:
> Mathias Kraus wrote:
>
> > it's the latter, and that's the reason why it's called bad bonus ;)
> > but the continuously doesn't mean forever, only as long until your
> > arsenal is empty and when the bombs explode, it starts again. so if you
> > have a big arsenal, this is really evil.
>
> hehe, you're telling me!  I got blown up twice precisely because I got
> affected by Scatty while carrying about 3 or 4 bombs in my arsenal,
> and accidentally walking through a narrow corridor.  ^^;
>
> Oh bonus_shield, where for art thou?  ^^

this will be done with the same code which will make bonuses vanish when they
are hit by an explosion

> > just open a terminal and navigate to the folder with the index.docbook.
> > the do "meinproc4 index.docbook"
>
> But wait, if memory serves, doesn't that just create an HTML file?

yes, it does, but you can see how it will look.

> > I think with that changes, the artwork will be done. thanks very much.
>
> Well not quite done, there's still the Waterbomb theme to take care of. ^^
> However, with the exception of the bonus_bomb icon, I think all the
> other bonuses can retain their art.  I'd only have to worry about
> changing the arena tiles and the explosion (to make it into jet
> streams of water).

btw. I think I didn't told you this, but if the theme engine didn't find an
"arena_*", "bonus_*, etc. item", it will take the items from the default
theme, but it will take all items from e.g. "arena_" if one is missing. you
can test it by e.g. removing all "bonus_*" items from the waterbomb theme and
then select the theme. you will notice that the "bonus_*" items from
granatier.svgz are loaded.

> Too bad it couldn't be "Kranatier", but that's fine.... presumably
> some users welcome the move out of "K"-centric names (although I've
> always rather liked them). ^^'

"Kranatier" !?! well, here I definitelly prefer the "G" ;)

> > I think it would be too evil if the player couln't change directions on
> > ice and that only bad bonuses should have such a big influence.
>
> Actually that is kind of how I though the Skate bonus icon would work,
> which is why I initially added it to the good list.  Annoying, but in
> some circumstances being able to constantly move could save your life.

but constantly move will work by keeping the move key pressed, or did I
misunderstood you?

> > the limit is at 10 bombs at the moment, so if you are fast it should be
> > possible to escape even if the arsenal has the maximum size.
>
> I imagine that in a completely clean arena (devoid of most of its
> blocks) and with a pretty significant bomb blast range, Skatty may
> actually be a "good" since it's a way for the player to torment the
> other players with a very dangerous and random succession of
> explosions.  ^^;

yes, but this would also work by pressing the put bomb key very fast and often
... did I told you that I have some years of experience in this game ;)

> > and arturo will hate us if he has to do yet another item ;)

> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>
> > I'd rather keep teleport bonus if you only do one. (Plus it can always
> > be an idea for a future addition.)
>
> LOL to both. ^^
> Nah, I wouldn't mind making one more.... in fact I recently though of
> another bad bonus called something like "bad_bonus_rain", which if
> picked up subtracts one bomb from your arsenal (as in the rain "wets"
> the powder).  ^^'
>
> It would actually get worse if you only have one bomb, in which case
> it invokes the same behavior as bonus_bad_restrain.
>
> But didn't feel like promoting it since I think we have more than
> enough icons now. ^___^

right, and there are also other parts to work on, like an arena editor if
there's time :)

> An extra teleport tile (with a fixed teleport range) would be cool in
> a Kapman kind of way, but seeing as it might be tricky to code (at
> least trickier than the bonus one anyway), I'd say this can definitely
> wait for a future feature.

agreed

> Speaking of future features, is the size of the arena limited to a set
> tile area, or would it be possible for us to create maps that are,
> say, double the size?  This also opens the door to a future simple map
> editor too, but I think I'm getting ahead of myself here.  ^^;

to only limit is your hardware. if you want an arena with 1000*1000 cells, it
would be possible but very hard to play. on the other side, I don't know how
big your screen is :)
I will add a section to the documentation how to create arenas. the simplest
way is to copy an existing and editing it. it's mostly self explanatory.

> There'll be plenty of stuff to dream up after feature freeze. ^-^;

yes, and the first one will be network support. then we can start playing
against each other ;)

mathias