[Kde-games-devel] granatier

Arturo Silva jasilva28 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 00:17:56 CEST 2009

Mathias Kraus wrote:

> it's the latter, and that's the reason why it's called bad bonus ;)
> but the continuously doesn't mean forever, only as long until your arsenal is
> empty and when the bombs explode, it starts again. so if you have a big
> arsenal, this is really evil.

hehe, you're telling me!  I got blown up twice precisely because I got
affected by Scatty while carrying about 3 or 4 bombs in my arsenal,
and accidentally walking through a narrow corridor.  ^^;

Oh bonus_shield, where for art thou?  ^^

> just open a terminal and navigate to the folder with the index.docbook.
> the do "meinproc4 index.docbook"

But wait, if memory serves, doesn't that just create an HTML file?

> I think with that changes, the artwork will be done. thanks very much.

Well not quite done, there's still the Waterbomb theme to take care of. ^^
However, with the exception of the bonus_bomb icon, I think all the
other bonuses can retain their art.  I'd only have to worry about
changing the arena tiles and the explosion (to make it into jet
streams of water).

> btw, may I add your e-mail address to the about page of granatier?

Sure.  ^^
I added it to yesterday's Docbook revisions, so by all means add it
anywhere else you'd like to have it.  ^__^

It's not the first time I've publisehd my email in my projects -- I
have it all over the cursor theme I developed some time ago:
http://c-quel.deviantart.com/art/Vanguard-Cursor-Theme-128316825?moodonly=24

> well, it's a early german expression for grenadier. it's composed of "granate"
> ( english: grenade) and the "tier" from "musketier" (english: musketeer). I
> choosed it over zitzles, the only other name on earth that isn't trademarked
> ;)

Ah, the mystery is solved!  yes, that's a great name then!  :D

Too bad it couldn't be "Kranatier", but that's fine.... presumably
some users welcome the move out of "K"-centric names (although I've
always rather liked them). ^^'

> I think it would be too evil if the player couln't change directions on ice
> and that only bad bonuses should have such a big influence.

Actually that is kind of how I though the Skate bonus icon would work,
which is why I initially added it to the good list.  Annoying, but in
some circumstances being able to constantly move could save your life.

But that's also why I proposed "drunken" behavior whenever the player
runs over an ice patch while using the Skate bonus -- as a slippery
medium over a slippery surface is just asking for double the trouble.
;D

> the limit is at 10 bombs at the moment, so if you are fast it should be
> possible to escape even if the arsenal has the maximum size.

I imagine that in a completely clean arena (devoid of most of its
blocks) and with a pretty significant bomb blast range, Skatty may
actually be a "good" since it's a way for the player to torment the
other players with a very dangerous and random succession of
explosions.  ^^;

Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> I'd rather keep teleport bonus if you only do one. (Plus it can always
> be an idea for a future addition.)

LOL to both. ^^
Nah, I wouldn't mind making one more.... in fact I recently though of
another bad bonus called something like "bad_bonus_rain", which if
picked up subtracts one bomb from your arsenal (as in the rain "wets"
the powder).  ^^'

It would actually get worse if you only have one bomb, in which case
it invokes the same behavior as bonus_bad_restrain.

But didn't feel like promoting it since I think we have more than
enough icons now. ^___^

An extra teleport tile (with a fixed teleport range) would be cool in
a Kapman kind of way, but seeing as it might be tricky to code (at
least trickier than the bonus one anyway), I'd say this can definitely
wait for a future feature.

Speaking of future features, is the size of the arena limited to a set
tile area, or would it be possible for us to create maps that are,
say, double the size?  This also opens the door to a future simple map
editor too, but I think I'm getting ahead of myself here.  ^^;

There'll be plenty of stuff to dream up after feature freeze. ^-^;

-Arturo