[Kde-games-devel] granatier

Mathias Kraus k.hias at gmx.de
Tue Oct 13 00:11:09 CEST 2009

Matthew Woehlke schrieb am Montag 12 Oktober 2009:
> Arturo Silva wrote:
> > I'm happy to report that all outstanding bonus icons have been
> > completed!  This includes all the proposed additions, such as
> > bonus_shield, bonus_mason, and bonus_bad_drunk.  I also added a
> > bonus_neutral category for bonuses that can go either which way
> > (highlighted in yellow), although it stands to reason that a few itger
> > good and bad bonuses can probably be slotted to this category....
> >
> > http://pigux.com/kde4/storage/granatier/granatier_20091011.svgz
> > http://pigux.com/kde4/storage/granatier/texture_cemetary.svg
>
> Ooh... with the yellow "neutral" bonuses, I am liking the "bad" being
> red a bit more. (Oh, and the phoenix and teleport are beautiful!)

you take the words right out of my mouth :)
I also like the snail, it's really meaningful.

> Wasn't skate a "bad" bonus? If yes, that would be conveniently make the
> number of "good" and "bad" equal :-).

I would also think that skate is a bad bonus. that's the one where you cant
stop moving, right?
personally I would also move the mason tool to the neutral bonuses.

> > I did draw a replacement arena_mortar which uses a top-down view and
> > sandbags.  However, I'm not terribly happy with it, but maybe you two
> > will think otherwise?  :)
>
> I'm not too sure about it either :-). Remind me, the arrows move bombs
> placed on them? If yes, maybe bomb_trap should have a similar look,
> maybe a circle, or arrows pointing in all directions.

the circle could look like a missile bay from the top. I like the idea of
arrows pointing in all directions. arrows pointing to the circle might also
work because the bomb will disappear in the circle for maybe 500ms to 1s.

> Speaking of wormux...
>
> > Mathias Kraus wrote:
> >> as a side not. the throw feature will work like this. a player presses
> >> the lay bomb key. if he has the throw bonus, a timer will be startet. if
> >> the player presses again the key within lets say 500 ms the bomb will be
> >> thrown away. the distance depends on the time the player is waiting, the
> >> longer he waits, the farther the bomb gets thrown.
>
> ...this sounds exactly like the bazooka (or more accurately, grenades)
> from wormux ;-).

yep, would be the equivalent

> >> the placeholders look quite good :)
> >> the problem with the dynamite is, that it looks like a time bomb because
> >> of the clock and the burning fuse. how about removing the clock and the
> >> burning fuse or just one dynamite stick with the label TNT.
> >
> > Fixed, I hope. ^^b
>
> Looked fine to me. I don't think a single stick would look as good. A
> tube of nitroglycerine might look really good, but IMHO the current
> graphic is fine.
>
> Thinking about how you make a test tube look like nitro, I thought to
> put an explosion graphic behind it, then realized you could do the same
> with the current TNT. I'm not sure it's needed though, and it wouldn't
> really match the style of the other icons.

I think it looks good like it is.

Arturo Silva schrieb am Montag 12 Oktober 2009:
> Unfortunately, I completed this after I realized that Granatier was
> finally placed into the review section, so this may not include
> anything new that has been added to the latest build.  [Speaking of
> which, I may need to ask for instructions on how to build the latest
> Granatier later... ^^' ]
>
> If there are additions to be made, please let me know.  Otherwise,
> after I've reviewed the documentation, I think I'll take a small break
> in order to take that long-overdue peek at Palapeli.  :D

> Mathias Kraus wrote:
>
> > dud bombs. at first I thought to make regular boms with a certain
> > possibility a dud bomb, but think of the following start situation.
> > █ █ █ █
> > █ ▒ ☺ █
> > ▒ ☢   █
> > █ █ █ █
> > ▒ block
> > █ wall
> > if the bomb would become a dud bomb the player would be screwed.
> > so there are two possibilities. make it a bad bonus, where the player
> > lays only dud bombs or activate the possibility for dud bombs only after
> > the player layd 5 bombs or so. I tend to the latter.
>
> I'd also favor the latter version of that bad_bonus as well.  However,
> I'm not 100% on board with the dud option -- there's a few other
> bonuses that I think deserve priority.  ^^

your're right, but the dud bomb would be an easy one

> > but I think another solution will solve both problems. imagine if the
> > mine isn't always active, but only for maybe 2 seconds, then inactive,
> > active ... the color of the skull could indicate the status of the mine.
> > so if a player has time to wait, it shouldn't be a problem to move
> > without harm over the mine. if there's no time because there is a bomb
> > beside him which would explode and kill him and the mine is inactive at
> > that moment, the player has the chance to escape or get killed if the
> > mine gets activated while moving over it.
>
> hehe, actually I think that's the behavior of the mines in Wormux --
> even if you pass over one, it's still possible to walk/jump out of the
> way before the mine finishes beeping 3 times and then explodes.  it
> actually works very ell.
>
> To highten the suspense, perhaps the mine (when walked over and
> activated) explodes with the equivalent of a 3-tile range).  That way,
> any player operating at normal or snail-slow speeds wouldn't dare to
> even try to cross it, but faster players can try such a reckless
> thing.  :D

I like your idea. hmm, why not do both :)

> > thanks.
> > hmm, at first I was looking for the translation for dunce hat, then I was
> > looking for some pictures how it looks like. the biggest problem with the
> > dunce hat is, that everyone from your country will recognice it, but at
> > least in germany it won't. on the other side, this could maybe also be
> > said from other bonuses for other countries.
>
> I see, actually that would be a problem for many things.  But I did
> compromise with bonus_bad_skatty by keeping the dunce hat, but adding
> a little extra to drive the point across.  ^^

well, it looks nice but when looking at it I always have to think of the ku
klux klan because it looks like a white mask.

> Okay, I'm off for now.  Hopefully you enjoy the new icons featured
> (all 17 of them!).  ^___^

I definitely do

mathias