[Kde-games-devel] granatier

Arturo Silva jasilva28 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 07:43:18 CEST 2009

Alrighty, time to unload the nightly goodies...

http://pigux.com/kde4/storage/granatier/granatier_20091008.svgz
http://pigux.com/kde4/storage/granatier/texture_cemetary.svg

I'm happy to report that, thanks to my workaround, ALL graphics now
display properly. ^.^
I added arena_mine, recreated arena_ice, and added what will
eventually be arena_mortar.

And lo and behold, I actually drew it as a mortar.  ^^;

Also, bonus_power now has the dynamite icon, and bonus_range has been
retired off to the cemetary.  Due to lack of time I couldn't complete
more bonus icons beside this, but at least I started them somewhat.

Per Mathias' suggestion, the bad bonuses are colored red (for now).  ^^

Matthew Woehlke wrote:

> Shouldn't that be tile_? I thought it was a tile... or am I confused?

Ah, you're right, I goofed. ^^'
It's "arena_", actually.

> ...or a snow/winter theme ;-).

hehe, the obligatory Xmas theme, I'm sure.  ^__^

> ...not with this. IMO make the player think about maybe blowing up
> bonuses they might want :-).

Well certainly, the way Mathias described it (and with the assurance
that two bombs won't automatically destroy bonuses), I think I've
reconsidered.  Being able to blow up bonus icons DOES sound like a
great idea. ^^

> I am certainly muchly appreciating the artwork! Not just looking, but
> it's great to have a talented artist around so we will have good art for
> our games :-).

lol, thank you.  ^^
Happy to see some people think I'm talented -- I've traditionally
gotten the reverse opinion from time to time.  ^^;

I'm actually an Anime artist primarily, so I am just a little bit out
of my element (since I haven't drawn game sprites in almmost a
decade). But while I ay not necessarily be good at this now, I'm at
least a very functional one, so I'm willing to at least get the job
done first before getting it done better. ^__~

Thank you!
I actually wouldn't have known where to even start with that, besides
which I'd rather just get all this stuff finished first before I'd
dive back into that again.  ^^;

As long as I know how to fix it on a per-case basis I'm good, but of
course any effort to get it fixed permanently will be much appreciated
by all!  ^^

> yes, it should be a tile. I think I will take arena_mortar.

And done... ^^

> well, you get riled if you lay a bomb beside a bonus you like to take, so you have to be carefull with
> the bombs. it's also funny if the oponent player tries to get the bonus before it gets destroyed but is
> too slow and dies therefore.
>
> let me explain a little bit more. if there are two bombs and one makes the other explode, them their
> blast will have the same ID, and therefore wouldn't be able to distroy the bonus or more than one block
> item. this behaviour is actually not yet implemented.

Thank you for explaining this!
Now I'm officially sold with the idea, so I redact my earlier suggestion. ^___^

> well, in clanbomber they are colored red. it's difficult to say without seeing them in action. you
> could try them in red, after all it's not that difficult to change the color afterwards :)

True that!
Okay, the casings are in red. ^^

> I couldn't say it better. I really appreciate your artwork. granatier looks so much more polished with your contribution. thanks for your work.

No problem! ^^
Thank YOU for your enthusiasm in building and evolving Granatier as
quickly as you have.  I'm glad I put up wih the initial challenges of
building Gluon and the like, since the development process since then
has been both fun and rewarding.

I do hope we can get it ready by freeze. ^^b

> btw. the bonuses are now also shown from the beginning. this will also help you with your artwork. bonus_bad_drug is now bonus_bad_mirror, bonus_range is bonus_power, bonus_move is bonus_kick and there's a new one bonus_bad_scatty which will make the player to constantly lay bombs.

haha, I like the "scatty" one, that was clever.  I think the dunce hat
would look better for that bonus.  ^^
Also, thanks for adding that feature, and for enabling the bad bonuses.

[Now that I've seen Scatty in action, the effect isn't as annoying as
it sounded in the description -- it's actually a very cool "bad" bonus
that any seasoned player could probably use to his advantage]

Just to let you know, I won't be issuing any new artwork on Friday,
but I will aim to finish all bonus icons over the weekend (including
the ones not listed yet), even if it means adding draft sketches
again. ^^

--Arturo