[Kde-games-devel] granatier

Mathias Kraus k.hias at gmx.de
Fri Oct 9 02:09:37 CEST 2009

Matthew Woehlke schrieb am Donnerstag 08 Oktober 2009:
> (PDNQMEAUIMB ;-) )
> Arturo Silva wrote:
> > Sorry to say I can't upload anything today since I spent my free time
> > doing R&D on that impossibly annoying SVG rendering bug.  But it was a
> > worthwhile endeavor as I think I finally cracked the mystery, thanks
> > to a little trial and error.  ^^b
> >
> > Although I won't say this occurs in ALL cases (because we can still
> > see the bricks in arena_block), it appears that the QTSVGRenderer will
> > fail to display a path if it does not contain at least one or two node
> > handles.  [snip details]
>
> Please discuss that with Qt if you haven't already, if that's actually
> true it seems like a pretty bad bug.

I will send a mail to the kde-core-devel mailing list to ask if this is a known bug or if there are some other limitations.

> >> or something like a geyser?
> >
> > Ah! [snip]
> > If you like the idea, I propose a rename to either: "bonus_cannon",
> > "bonus_turret" or "bonus_mortar".
>
> Shouldn't that be tile_? I thought it was a tile... or am I confused?

yes, it should be a tile. I think I will take arena_mortar.

> (Actually... I'd vote for thrower/tosser/similar, though it isn't really
> important what the internal name is. All of the above imply to me
> something you can actually aim. But I agree 'trap' probably isn't the
> best name.)

[snip]

> > Consistent behavior is better, so whatever fate befalls the bad
> > bonuses should affect the good ones too. ^^
>
> Agree with this, but...
>
> > But I'm a little worried about having the bonuses be destroyable,
> > because if you happen to lay two bombs in succession, the second blast
> > is bound to destroy whatever goodies the first uncovers.
> >
> > IMHO, I think the safest behavior is for all bonuses to remain
> > "invincible", but that they disappear after 10 seconds or so if
> > they're not picked up.  And if time permits, maybe the bonus icons can
> > blink a few times right before they disappear.
>
> ...not with this. IMO make the player think about maybe blowing up
> bonuses they might want :-).
>
> As for disappearing from the field after a set time, I don't have a
> strong opinion.

well, you get riled if you lay a bomb beside a bonus you like to take, so you have to be carefull with the bombs. it's also funny if the oponent player tries to get the bonus before it gets destroyed but is too slow and dies therefore.

let me explain a little bit more. if there are two bombs and one makes the other explode, them their blast will have the same ID, and therefore wouldn't be able to distroy the bonus or more than one block item. this behaviour is actually not yet implemented.

> >> I thought of making the player wobling while the bad bonus is
> >> active or showing an icon
> >> beside the player with the bad bonus and blink the icon.
> >> at first there might be only the wobling.
> >
> > I like the icon idea, but if it's too much to code over the player
> > itself, you can also have it appear on the sidebar you plan to make
> > (showing the player stats). ^^
>
> Personally I had assumed icon in sidebar. I don't think the player needs
> to wobble.

I didn't thougt of that, but it's a good idea.

> > BTW, I noticed your bad bonuses are colored in red.  If you'd like, I
> > can do the same when I begin drawing icons for the bad bonuses,
> > although my original intention was to keep them all green (so as to
> > not offer an immediate visual queue to the player to avoid them).  ^^
>
> That was sort-of my expectation also... not obvious, you have to pay
> attention to the icon.

well, in clanbomber they are colored red. it's difficult to say without seeing them in action. you could try them in red, after all it's not that difficult to change the color afterwards :)

> > Sorry I can't contribute any code, but hopefully you're having fun
> > looking at our artwork and reading our comments (which have already
> > ballooned this Grantier thread). ^___^b
>
> I am certainly muchly appreciating the artwork! Not just looking, but
> it's great to have a talented artist around so we will have good art for
> our games :-).

I couldn't say it better. I really appreciate your artwork. granatier looks so much more polished with your contribution. thanks for your work.

btw. the bonuses are now also shown from the beginning. this will also help you with your artwork. bonus_bad_drug is now bonus_bad_mirror, bonus_range is bonus_power, bonus_move is bonus_kick and there's a new one bonus_bad_scatty which will make the player to constantly lay bombs.

mathias