[Kde-games-devel] granatier

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 8 18:10:57 CEST 2009

(PDNQMEAUIMB ;-) )
Arturo Silva wrote:
> Sorry to say I can't upload anything today since I spent my free time
> doing R&D on that impossibly annoying SVG rendering bug.  But it was a
> worthwhile endeavor as I think I finally cracked the mystery, thanks
> to a little trial and error.  ^^b
>
> Although I won't say this occurs in ALL cases (because we can still
> see the bricks in arena_block), it appears that the QTSVGRenderer will
> fail to display a path if it does not contain at least one or two node
> handles.  [snip details]

Please discuss that with Qt if you haven't already, if that's actually
true it seems like a pretty bad bug.

>> or something like a geyser?
>
> Ah! [snip]
> If you like the idea, I propose a rename to either: "bonus_cannon",
> "bonus_turret" or "bonus_mortar".

Shouldn't that be tile_? I thought it was a tile... or am I confused?

(Actually... I'd vote for thrower/tosser/similar, though it isn't really
important what the internal name is. All of the above imply to me
something you can actually aim. But I agree 'trap' probably isn't the
best name.)

> On the other hand,... precisely because it looks like a wall........ i
> wonder if it would be a perfect candidate for the arena_wall in the
> Waterbomb theme?  ^___^

...or a snow/winter theme ;-).

> Consistent behavior is better, so whatever fate befalls the bad
> bonuses should affect the good ones too. ^^

Agree with this, but...

> But I'm a little worried about having the bonuses be destroyable,
> because if you happen to lay two bombs in succession, the second blast
> is bound to destroy whatever goodies the first uncovers.
>
> IMHO, I think the safest behavior is for all bonuses to remain
> "invincible", but that they disappear after 10 seconds or so if
> they're not picked up.  And if time permits, maybe the bonus icons can
> blink a few times right before they disappear.

...not with this. IMO make the player think about maybe blowing up
bonuses they might want :-).

As for disappearing from the field after a set time, I don't have a
strong opinion.

>> I thought of making the player wobling while the bad bonus is active or showing an icon
>> beside the player with the bad bonus and blink the icon.
>> at first there might be only the wobling.
>
> I like the icon idea, but if it's too much to code over the player
> itself, you can also have it appear on the sidebar you plan to make
> (showing the player stats). ^^

Personally I had assumed icon in sidebar. I don't think the player needs
to wobble.

> BTW, I noticed your bad bonuses are colored in red.  If you'd like, I
> can do the same when I begin drawing icons for the bad bonuses,
> although my original intention was to keep them all green (so as to
> not offer an immediate visual queue to the player to avoid them).  ^^

That was sort-of my expectation also... not obvious, you have to pay
attention to the icon.

> Sorry I can't contribute any code, but hopefully you're having fun
> looking at our artwork and reading our comments (which have already
> ballooned this Grantier thread). ^___^b

I am certainly muchly appreciating the artwork! Not just looking, but
it's great to have a talented artist around so we will have good art for
our games :-).

--
Matthew
I sure hope they never make a hearse out of a Scion. I wouldn't want to