[Kde-games-devel] granatier

Arturo Silva jasilva28 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 07:43:01 CEST 2009

Before I begin, here's another updated graphics set:

http://pigux.com/kde4/storage/granatier/granatier_20091006.svgz

And an expanded cemetary:

http://pigux.com/kde4/storage/granatier/texture_cemetary.svg

Mainly focused on floor tiles today, although I'm not able to test
them out to see if any of the details get eaten by the SVG renderer.
^^'

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Mathias Kraus <k.hias at gmx.de> wrote:

> but you do it very good.
> maybe I can write a short manual at the weekend and then I will move it to kdereview with a request to move it to kdegames. then I have some time to add some missing granatier features to the feature list.

Thank you. ^^
And yes, I almost nearly forgot about the manual.
I can help you proof it or add illustrations to it if need be.  ^__^

> if you want more floor tiles, that wouldn't be a problem. just add a "_0" to the first tile and then count upwarts as much > as you like. in the meantime I'll add the code :)

hehe, not to worry, as it's pretty trivial.
you can still add the code if you want, but for the moment I want to
concentrate on adding graphics that have either not been updated or
need to be added. ^^

Incidentally, I once said I wanted to change the character sprites,
but after playing this for a while I have kind of grown to like the
little ball characters.  At best I may add more detail to them, but if
you ask me I think they work as default characters (besides, your work
is more an homage to Clanbomber than it is to Bomberman).  ^__^

Much later on we can revisit that Konqi theme idea.  -v-

> I also think it would look better without the grate. additionally I think the ground would look better in gray instead of green. have a look at the screenshot.

hehe, added! ^^
In fact, I kind of borrowed your SVGZ that you had attached to
continue my work.  ^__^

> well, on the ice, the player will not be able to fully stop, the bomb trap just throws bombs which are put on them to
> random places and the arrows will make the bombs moving in the direction they show.

Ah, so the ice tiles really do fulfill what Matthew had mentioned
before regarding the skating bonus (or anti-bonus, however you look at
it).

And darn, I read this too late.  I thought the bomb trap was an
instant death thing, but instead it functions more like that
"bonus_slippery" idea from yesterday.  Guess I'll have to redraw it.

Not sure what the graphic for the bomb trap should be, though.  I'm
thinking perhaps an open-ended pipe (a la Mario Bros).

> attached is a SVG with some small changes to your last suggestion. please have a look at it and tell me what you think.

Thank you for this, it made things easier this evening.  ^___^

> also not too hard

But now with the ice tiles, I'm really not sure we need bonus_skate anymore.

Also, if you like the random movement piece, then I agree with Matthew
that the random movement can be "bonus_drunk", and the inverted
movement can be "bonus_mirror".

> at the moment a little bit difficult, because it needs an additional key on the keyboard and with three players it's already very tight.

I also agree with Matthew that by "teleport" you're simply transfering
the player to an open spot on the map the very second you grab the
teleport icon (and not reserved for later).  This can be either a
bonus or not, depending on where this drops you at.  :P

> btw, all the bad bonuses will vanish after some time or after the player takes another bonus.

hehe, that's a relief.  :D
btw, do you still like my old bonus_shield idea?
I'm wondering if that should be timer-based or simply have the shield
around until the player gets caught by an explosion.

> nice idea :)

Thank you. ^^
If you like it, then guess that means I already drew the icon, lol. ^^'

> I have to think about this, but I think it would be unfair if only one player resurrects. it would be better if
> all dead player resurrect.

I like that too.  :D
hehe, actually if we keep this up, Granatier may end up being livelier
and more franatic than Clanbomber. ^_______^;

> I'm also not really sure if the archery target is good for bomb_range, but I can't think of something else.

Well, actually....
After playing this game now for a while, I think I may have to
renounce my support for a "bonus_power".  In all honesty, even if the
power only lasted for one bomb lay, it would still make it even easier
to clear the map of all blocks, which would kind of kill the fun very
quickly.

So I say let's retire that "bonus_power" idea, and give the power icon
(the dynamite) to "bonus_range".
I've already shipped the archery range icon over to the cemetary,
since I plan to update it later to add the TNT originally meant for
bonus_power.

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 7:45 PM, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>                                     (no <address> ^^)
> Thanks :-).

hehe, well it helps that you have that notice at the very top of your post.  ^.^

> Honestly, I intended it as a different way for 'malfunction' to work...
> so the bug is still good.

I see.  ^^
Although now it seems that idea will be resurrected via the bomb trap.  -v-

> Again, I meant this as replacing drunk. IMO just reversing the keys
> isn't very "drunk". Maybe that one could be 'mirror' instead. Icons
> could be a mirror (if you feel it sufficiently recognizable), a graphic
> of something being flipped, or even a yin-yang. Maybe a mirror-surface
> yin-yang with an arrow showing it being flipped :-D.

hehe, well if the icon is that busy, I'll end up butting heads with
that darn renderer.  ^^;
Too bad the detail of my work on these graphics is limited to this
unseen aggressor. ^___^;

But I do like the distinction between drunk and mirror, that should
definitely work, and increase the incidence of activating anti-bonuses
that no player in their right mind would normally walk over. ^^;

> Yes, since there does not exist a teleporter in real life, you're pretty
> well stuck inventing something. You could do a 'transporter' effect also
> (outline of player with sparkles around it).

That's true.  ^^
I was hoping maybe a wormhole, but it might just be clearer if we
simply abstract the teleporting process as you described.  ^^

> True. Actually now I am wondering about 'sudden death' mode also adding
> new blocks.

Hey, that's not a bad idea. ^^
Maybe not as regularly as the mason tool, but enough so that players
outright LUNGE towards these blocks if it means a way to defeat the
others (such as by getting a shield).

> Alternatively, it could be a real bonus; either resurrect a team mate,
> or if no team mate is dead, first one to die will resurrect somewhere
> random.
>
> Many flavors are possible... always friendly, always hostile, grant
> power to random player/team, resurrect last to die (or first to die if
> no one has died yet). Maybe some combination of the above...

That's an interesting idea, although not sure if I want the effect to
linger.  I'd say if there is no dead player to revive, then the bonus
simply restores a random block on the map.  That way the power can be
wasted in style.  ^^;

--Arturo