[Kde-games-devel] License for carddecks in kdegames

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 23:34:37 CET 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 15:17, Patrik Karlsson wrote:
> Im working on a kind of KDE inspired framework for Java applications
> and Im using some resources from KDE such as translations and
> carddecks from kdegames.
>
> My framework is licensed under GPLv3 but I might go LGPL in the future.
> However, I have a problem finding out the license for the carddecks I
> using. I could not find any information on the svn, and only a couple
> of the decks have AUTHOR and COPYING files installed in my
> distribution.
>
> What is the license of the decks and who made them (I would like to
> give them credit for their work)?

Hello Patrik,

I regret to inform you that the copyright and licensing for our card
decks is quite a mess. The newer decks aren't too bad since the
artists are still around, but some of the old ones are a mystery. I
think some of them may have been borrowed from other, older solitaire
games. Many of the raster decks were also converted to SVG recently
which complicates things even further.

You can try to do some spelunking in the SVN logs and try to find the
original committer and contact them, but even that may not get you
much information. There aren't many devs around from the early days of
KDEGames.

Sorry,

Parker