[Kde-games-devel] KSudoku update

Johannes Bergmeier Johannes.Bergmeier at gmx.net
Thu Nov 26 01:07:30 CET 2009

On Thursday November 26 2009 00:15:32 Johannes Bergmeier wrote:
> Currently the most visible problem is that some games might require much
>  more time to get generated than before. (While others require much less
>  time.) I know about that problem and am working on it.

I analyzed the generation of a jigsaw-puzzle (which behaves extremely bad
compared to its size) with callgrind. It looks like I found one of the reasons
for those performance problems.

The generator inserts random values at random locations and looks afterwards
whether that could lead to a solvable puzzle. Some of the impossible to solve
combinations require extremely long to get identified as such. It shouldn't be
to difficult to do some precalculation (the solver already relies on it) and
choose locations and values based on it.