[Kde-games-devel] KPat Progress and Regressions

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 01:18:45 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 21:17, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>> one thing about the animations that have always irked me a bit, but maybe it's
>> just me, is that the speed of the initial auto-solve move (e.g. when a card it
>> moved up to solutions pile in freecell automatically by the game) feels
>> reallly slow, while after a few cards it zings past uncomfortably fast.
>
> Okay, well I will have to speak up now :-). I think I am seeing the new
> speeds (unless Parker already made it slower, previously), and to me it
> is too slow.

The revision you have has the adjusted framework for the autodrop
speeds. The animation actually starts much quicker, but now speeds up
more slowly and hits a maximum speed. So it's both faster and slower
than it was before. :) Again, the actual values are subject to change.

> Maybe I am impatient, but I don't like waiting so long on
> the game to be over.

You're thinking about it all wrong. Think of how much faster the game
is ending compared to if you had to individually move all those cards.

> Would it be unreasonable to offer an option for animation speed?

For 4.4? Yes. :)

For 4.5? Maybe. KPat doesn't have a configuration dialog, and Coolo
has expressed some desire to keep it that way. We can really add any
more settings to the Settings menu without it feeling much to crowded.
Personally, I don't think it should be that difficult to come up with
a balanced set of speeds that'll be equally usable for all.

Parker