No subject

Thu Nov 5 01:24:59 CET 2009

These products represent us, so it's only natural we'd want to show our best
face.

But as I've told my disciples, the only real excuse a person can give for
not learning how to draw is not lack of skill or will, as both can be
remedied, but rather lack of time (since you cannot role back time).  Time
is the greatest inhibitor to excellence, and regardless of the fact that you
want to be qualitatively good at anything, you can only physically afford to
distribute your efforts based on your priorities (where your "will" is so to
speak).  Even if someone wanted to devote 100% of their effort into
KGoldRunner, the reality could end up being more like 50% parent, 20%
chauffer, 10% chef, 8% handyman, 6% composer, 4% IRC socializer and 2%
KGoldRunner dev.

Doesn't necessarily mean this person isn't aiming for excellence when it
comes to KGoldRunner, it just means that, given the limited resources, it
takes longer for that excellence to be manifest.  And since "excellence" is
a subjective term anyway, it is inherently neverending.

Which is why I proposed changing the question form a qualitative one (how
can we improve the code, how can we add more themes) to a social one (how
can we increase particiation, how can we attract more feedback).  Even if
the qualitative issues are still there, there can theoretically be more
people willing to help.

Good example, the keyboard control method....

Currently the opinion is 50/50 in favor of perpetual motion or
stop-when-no-key is pressed movement, but the sampling is only 4 people.  It
would be wonderfully helpful if I could see the insight of 100, 200 or even
1000 people, including comments that touch on points I may have missed
(maybe it turns out we're all wrong and people love turn-based movement,
yeah right).  >v<

That way I can determine with certainty if A) I just suck as a gamer [which
I won't dispute], or B) more people than not may indeed have issue with the
control scheme and it would be worth time and effort to programmatically
offer a solution.

The problem is I'm almost confident that majority of users don't see
themselves as contributors to something that offers perpetual room for
improvement, but just as players of a simple desktop game, one they can just
as easily ditch and move onto the next without so much as a peep of feedback
(more so since its free -- it cost them nothing to try it, it costs them
equally as much to forget about it).

So if we want KGoldRunner to grow into something greater than it is now, we
have to make it painfully obvious that it CAN grow to be something greater
than it is now.  Lacking that, it may only be perceived as a desktop game --
fun, simple, addictive, but dangerously claustrophobic.

> Great movies both. I have viewed Totoro only this year, it has been
released
> just this summer with Italian dubbing. Of Myazaki recent production my
> favorite is "Spirited Away".

Ah yes, that has many pigs in it too.
So I redact my prior statement, Spirited Away is indeed my favorite.  ^^

> I did not know about MUGEN, but the Battle for Wesnoth has a quite
dedicated
> artistic team. I have a peek at their fora from time to time, and I find
the
> evolution of graphic concepts from sketch to finished images fascinating.

Battle for Wesnoth is probably a good example of a very active but properly
self-regulated community -- in fact, it's been my experience that, minus the
occasional troll and bad apples, FOSS projects generally do attract more
nice people than not.

MUGEN is anarchic by comparison, and often attracts people all too willing
to abuse anonymity.  You get great participation and talent, but at the cost
(often too high) of focus and civility [to put it very mildly].

================================
Matthew Woehlke
================================

> That'd be fine. I was rather thinking 'don't stop' would be optional
anyway.

> I'd like to point out for the record that 'stop when not holding a key'
> is closer to the described joystick control, however ;-).
lol at the good point.  :P
But yes, in the absence of the aforementioned 100, 200 or >1000 viewpoints,
the only thing we can do as a smaller group is offer solutions "in addition
to" rather than "in lieu of" how things work.  Hence why I favor only the
option to use either kind of keyboard option I want, not the wholesale
replacement of the preexisting one just 'cause I don't like it as much.  ;)

--Arturo

--00163649914b478a2a0477a78804

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<br>Luciano Montanaro<br>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D</p>
ed to be<br>&gt; the case. And while KGolrunner is the best free Loderunner=
 clone I know of,<br>&gt; there is still room for improvement. Shouldn&#39;=
t we all aim to excellence?</p>

.=A0 These products represent us, so it&#39;s only natural we&#39;d want to=
 show our best face.</p>
e for not learning how to draw is not lack of skill or will, as both can be=
 remedied, but rather lack of time (since you cannot role back time).=A0 Ti=
me is the greatest inhibitor to excellence, and regardless of the fact that=
 you want to be qualitatively good at anything, you can only physically aff=
ord to distribute your efforts based on your priorities (where your &quot;w=
ill&quot; is so to speak).=A0 Even if someone wanted to devote 100% of thei=
r effort into KGoldRunner, the reality could end up being more like 50% par=
ent, 20% chauffer, 10% chef, 8% handyman, 6% composer, 4% IRC socializer an=
d 2% KGoldRunner dev.=A0 </p>

 when it comes to KGoldRunner, it just means that, given the limited resour=
ces, it takes longer for that excellence to be manifest.=A0 And since &quot=
;excellence&quot; is a subjective term anyway, it is inherently neverending=
.</p>

w can we improve the code, how can we add more themes) to a social one (how=
 can we increase particiation, how can we attract more feedback).=A0 Even i=
f the qualitative issues are still there, there can theoretically be more p=
eople willing to help.</p>

-no-key is pressed movement, but the sampling is only 4 people.=A0 It would=
 be wonderfully helpful if I could see the insight of 100, 200 or even 1000=
 people, including comments that touch on points I may have missed (maybe i=
t turns out we&#39;re all wrong and people love turn-based movement, yeah r=
ight).=A0 &gt;v&lt;</p>

ich I won&#39;t dispute], or B) more people than not may indeed have issue =
with the control scheme and it would be worth time and effort to programmat=
ically offer a solution.</p>

 see themselves as contributors to something that offers perpetual room for=
 improvement, but just as players of a simple desktop game, one they can ju=
st as easily ditch and move onto the next without so much as a peep of feed=
back (more so since its free -- it cost them nothing to try it, it costs th=
em equally as much to forget about it).</p>

 we have to make it painfully obvious that it CAN grow to be something grea=
ter than it is now.=A0 Lacking that, it may only be perceived as a desktop =
game -- fun, simple, addictive, but dangerously claustrophobic.</p>

been released<br>&gt; just this summer with Italian dubbing. Of Myazaki rec=
ent production my<br>&gt; favorite is &quot;Spirited Away&quot;.</p>
 Spirited Away is indeed my favorite.=A0 ^^</p>
ite dedicated<br>&gt; artistic team. I have a peek at their fora from time =
to time, and I find the<br>&gt; evolution of graphic concepts from sketch t=
o finished images fascinating.</p>

rly self-regulated community -- in fact, it&#39;s been my experience that, =
minus the occasional troll and bad apples, FOSS projects generally do attra=
ct more nice people than not.</p>

ng to abuse anonymity.=A0 You get great participation and talent, but at th=
e cost (often too high) of focus and civility [to put it very mildly].</p>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<br>Matthew Woehlke<br>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
would be optional anyway.</p>
lding a key&#39;<br>&gt; is closer to the described joystick control, howev=
ntioned 100, 200 or &gt;1000 viewpoints, the only thing we can do as a smal=
ler group is offer solutions &quot;in addition to&quot; rather than &quot;i=
n lieu of&quot; how things work.=A0 Hence why I favor only the option to us=
e either kind of keyboard option I want, not the wholesale replacement of t=
he preexisting one just &#39;cause I don&#39;t like it as much.=A0 ;)</div>

--00163649914b478a2a0477a78804--