[Kde-games-devel] KDEGames Day the discussion

Eugene Trounev eugene.trounev at gmail.com
Sun May 3 07:41:15 CEST 2009

Dear KDEGames,

As you may know this Saturday, April 2nd we had had a meeting regarding so
called "KDEGames Day". For those who've missed the thread, KDEGames Day is
something like your regular "Bug Day", but KDEGames style. On that day we are
planning to host a special event where every attendee will be asked to play any
game from a list we provide for as long as they want, and then post their
comments/suggestions.
So the important questions we discussed are:
a) How to prepare for the day?
b) When should we schedule it for?
c) How to organize the day?
d) How to keep track of it?

Here is what we came up with:
a) How to prepare for the day?
It has been argued that it's unfair to ask people to come to the event
unprepared. This would make us spend the first day of the event just helping
the attendees to set up a an up-to-date kdegames installation. To fix the problem
we have decided to come up with a special lightweight distro by means of
SuSEStudio. This then should be installed onto a VirtualBox machine and
include a full KDEGames install. We will either provide an installable ISO, or
a ready-to-use VirtualBox image.
b) When should we schedule it for?
We propose to have the KDEGames day on the first weekend after beta1 has been
released, which makes it May 16,17
c) How to organize the day?
This is still up for discussion. One thing is certain - there will be a series
of blog posts about it containing dates and instructions. As to the event
structure we have a couple of ideas. The first is to keep it all in #kdegames
channel and require the attendees to post the comments in
'appname:apppart:my comment' form.
The second is to keep the main event in #kdegames, but also setup a temporary
channel for each game and ask the attendees to post the comments in a
designated channel.
Or, we may make it completely impersonal by setting up a twitter-like website on-
line and ask the people to comment there.
d) How to keep track of it?
Depending on which way we organise the event this step may change, but one
thing is certain - someone will have to go through all the submitted
suggestions/bugs/ requests, summarize them, eliminate doubles, clean the up,
and post them for the developers to see and follow up.

Now, 16th is in a week. So we still have time to discuss the issue more. Please
let us know what you think.