[Kde-games-devel] not-fake svg card decks

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Sat May 2 11:20:09 CEST 2009

On sabato 02 maggio 2009, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > So... we've imported the old png card decks... but they are still pixel
> > art!
> >
> > I think it would be great if any aspiring (or otherwise) artists would
> > work on creating real vector art with the same "feel" as these decks,
> > and we can then update them as they are completed. Sound like a good
> > idea?
>
> Hello, artists! Any takers? :-)

Uhm, I would like to convert the konqui deck, but not for KDE 4.3. And not to
full vector! But there are higher resolution images of Konqui and Kate
around; I'm not sure about the baby Konqui... So the final deck should not be
too bad to look at in the end. The positioning of the numbers and glyphs can
be done with a script... this is hat I'm doing with the huncards deck I'm
preparing. It's actually a perl script generating an SVG deck.

It's hard coded to generate the positions for a german deck, but I got
inspiration from the way I wrote the tigullio deck and derivatives.
At the moment, I still cut and paste bits of svg into the script, but I'd like
to automate that part too... For that to work, I need a way to rename SVG
element IDs so that they do not clash in the generated code. I think I'll add
some option to the svgoptimizer to do that.

> > Anyway, I'm working on Penguins. (No time for a preview right this
> > instant, but I'll probably post something later.)
>
> Okay, I promised a preview, here it is:
> http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/1610/penguincardpreview.png
>
> I'd also like an opinion: should the face cards use a "simplified"
> version of Tux (I am thinking specifically, less shading, more outlines,
> i.e. more like the suit glyphs and numbers)? If yes, I can handle the
> missing elements (bonnet/hair/whatever for the queen, crown for the
> king).

They are nice as they are, but if you think you can't add the shading, you
could do without. I too have difficulties with that... we'll have to nail
down Eugene and give us a lecture about that! }:)

> If no, I would appreciate if some other aspiring artist that has
> a better shot of matching the style of the Tux graphics could take a shot.
>
> In the above preview, I intentionally left some of the old PNG versions
> to show what I mean about the change in style of the face cards. (As far
> as progress, I basically have completed what you see, plus the diamond
> face cards, and I have the club glyph. Most of the work however is
> boring stuff; using the text tool, and a LOT of making and positioning
> clones. Other than the added elements that distinguish the king/queen
> from the jack, the art is all completed and just needs assembling.)
>
> Anyway, the real-vector graphics look a LOT better on high-resolution
> screens (like mine) :-).

Yes, indeed. Even on not so=high resoluition screens... The original pixmap
decks were ok on 800x600 screens, I imagine...

Luciano

- --
Luciano Montanaro //
                \X/ mikelima at cirulla.net