[Kde-games-devel] not-fake svg card decks

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Sat May 2 18:10:08 CEST 2009

Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> On sabato 02 maggio 2009, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>>> So... we've imported the old png card decks... but they are still pixel
>>> art!
>>>
>>> I think it would be great if any aspiring (or otherwise) artists would
>>> work on creating real vector art with the same "feel" as these decks,
>>> and we can then update them as they are completed. Sound like a good
>>> idea?
>> Hello, artists! Any takers? :-)
>
> Uhm, I would like to convert the konqui deck, but not for KDE 4.3.

That's fine.

> And not to full vector!

Well, I think that should be an eventual goal :-). If you're not looking
to do it until 4.4, perhaps I can help with vectorizing our beloved dragons.

> But there are higher resolution images of Konqui and Kate
> around; I'm not sure about the baby Konqui... So the final deck should not be
> too bad to look at in the end.

This is exactly what Parker suggested, I agree I think it will be a huge
improvement.

>>> Anyway, I'm working on Penguins. (No time for a preview right this
>>> instant, but I'll probably post something later.)
>> Okay, I promised a preview, here it is:
>> http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/1610/penguincardpreview.png
>>
>> I'd also like an opinion: should the face cards use a "simplified"
>> version of Tux (I am thinking specifically, less shading, more outlines,
>> i.e. more like the suit glyphs and numbers)? If yes, I can handle the
>> missing elements (bonnet/hair/whatever for the queen, crown for the
>> king).
>
> They are nice as they are, but if you think you can't add the shading, you
> could do without. I too have difficulties with that... we'll have to nail
> down Eugene and give us a lecture about that! }:)

Yes, indeed; it-s where are you? ;-)

(Ah, there you are. Well... Robin Tux is using a different Tux. I'm
trying to do as close to a straight conversion of the original deck as
possible.)

I'm not convinced however, I keep thinking the shading is making the
face graphics out of character. Maybe some time I will whip up a more
"line art" version of Tux for comparison.

>> Anyway, the real-vector graphics look a LOT better on high-resolution
>> screens (like mine) :-).
>
> Yes, indeed. Even on not so=high resoluition screens... The original pixmap
> decks were ok on 800x600 screens, I imagine...

Well, the original pixmaps should look fine at 1:1 :-). But yes, it does
seem they were made for fairly small screen resolution.

--
Matthew
ENOWIT: .sig file for this machine not set up yet