[Kde-games-devel] New AI for bovo

Parker Coates parker.coates at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 20:58:34 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 15:02, Pelladi Gabor <pelladigabor at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > I think we need to discuss the text used in the UI. Obviously the
>  > current label "ai" is not very pretty or user friendly. I'm not sure
>  > that "Artificial Intelligence" is much clearer either. Similiarly, the
>  > options "Aron" and "Gabor" don't really reveal a great deal to the
>  > user either, but I don't have better suggestions.
>
> I would argue for providing the user an option to choose the AI engine. You can
> only play bovo against the AI, and one AI becomes boring earlier than two. My
> and Aron's AI are completely different, therefore a good refreshment to bring
> more variation to the game.

I guess I'm questioning how much you average user (who doesn't write
Bovo AIs in her spare time ;) ) is going to notice a difference
between the two. I think for a lot of players it will appear to be a
setting that has no effect.

> About the GUI display strings: For the menu I could imagine something like
> "Opponent" or "Computer". The options could be fantasy names, e.g. "Zeus",
> giving the user the feeling that he is playing against personalities.

I'm currently leaning toward removing the choice from the UI, but
keeping it in the config entry and adding a command line switch to
select the AI when the game is launched. That way, advanced players
who care about the different AIs can switch them if they want, but the
interface remains clean and simple.

> What do you think?

Really, I don't have any say in the matter. I don't even play Bovo. If
you and Aron could agree on a solution, I doubt anyone would oppose,
and I would gladly commit it.

Parker

P.S. Oh and thanks for bottom posting.