[Kde-games-devel] replacing classic tileset?

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Tue Mar 17 17:29:17 CET 2009

Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> I took another look at classic last night, and... to be honest, I really
> don't want to use it now :-). With no offense to Robert, it really isn't
> the same level of quality as the other tilesets, and I think Bamboo can
> take over as the "Usable" tileset.
>
> Therefore, I'd like to officially list "replace 'classic' tileset" as a
> 4.3 feature. (I won't actually pull it until Bamboo is ready, so the
> fallback is just to defer the feature until 4.4.)
>
> "Sneak Peak" here:
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.games/5232

Looks very cool. But why "replace" classic? I understand it has
problems, but why not add the Bamboo one, and let people that want to
use Classic for one reason or another continue to do so?

> Current progress is:
> - backs: done
> - stones: done
> - bamboo: done except 1 bamboo
> - wan: to-do
> - dragons: done
> - winds: east done. others to-do (might be done by next week)
> - flowers: plum done, others to-do
> - seasons: to-do
>
> (Meanwhile, should I commit what I have and start working directly in
> /trunk instead of just locally on my machine?)
>
> If no one tells me not to within a week or so, I'm going to add this to
> the feature page.

I think you can continue to work locally if you want to, but commiting
Bamboo.svgz and Bamboo.desktop to the repository would allow translators
to start working with it.
One thing I considered is to rename the current default (for tiles, and
maybe for other game elements like layouts and thems as well) to a
different name. After this is done, we can make "default.desktop"
something we can change at every release, if necessary. So if we decide
for example that Bamboo is very cool when it is done, we could alias
default.desktop to it for 4.3. People that want to use the old default
would still find it there, as well as Classic, and all others.

Opinions?

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini