[Kde-games-devel] new kmahjongg/kshisen tileset; what are the freeze dates?

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Wed Mar 11 05:16:29 CET 2009

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 1:16:59 pm Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> As the attentive among you know, I've been working on a new tileset for
> kmahjongg/kshisen. It started as improving classic and has evolved from
> there into 99% original artwork (only the tile shape will remain from
> classic when it is done).

I've been hoping for further news of your work.

> Basically it's a carved wood set. The basic tile I posted some time back
> (I've only modified it slightly to make the edges a bit more defined).
> The glyphs are simple, vibrant color schemes, taking inspiration from
> several sources, with the goal of being a highly Usable tileset (i.e.,
> each suit is very distinct from other suits, and tiles within a suit add
> some subtle differences ala the traditional set that classic didn't
> include).
>
> Right now I estimate it around 30-40% done time-wise (as far as tiles it
> is closer to 50%, but the seasons and flowers will take quite a bit
> longer than e.g. the bamboo suit). I'm hoping to have it done for 4.3.
> My intention is to replace classic, at least in usage, if not actually
> kill the tileset (I certainly find it at least as Usable as classic and
> IMNSHO it is *much* more beautiful :-) ).

Sounds great!  Can we get a preview somewhere?  Maybe you could
save the SVG file on /branches somewhere.

> Assuming I can get a green light this time, what freezes do I
> need to be worried about? Art freeze, obviously, but I assume the
> .desktop needs to be in before string freeze also, yes?

Probably only artwork and string (for the .desktop).

But http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.3_Release_Schedule
would be the authoritative source.  It might also be a good idea to
put a foot in the door (for the feature freezes) at:
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.3_Feature_Plan#kdegames

All the best, Ian W.