[Kde-games-devel] To ogg or not to ogg?

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 14:21:31 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Ian Wadham<ianw2 at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Up till now KGoldrunner sound-files have all been .wav, however
> I just added a file that had been accidentally omitted and I notice
> the files are getting rather large.  For example:
>
>    Falling sound 1.325Mb
>    Game over sound 1.141Mb
>    Victory sound 1.166Mb
>
> The other 7 sounds are all less than 0.2Mb each.
>
> Should I convert the larger sounds to OGG?  Should I convert all
> the sounds to OGG?  What are the pros and cons?  Are there any
> portability problems?  Any ideas ...

I  Think converting the gameover and victory sound should be OK.
I'd prefer the fallingsound not to be converted, since the ogg ecoding
would add some latency...
The sound could be probably shortened, though.

Luciano

--
Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams