[Kde-games-devel] Artwork Licensing and "Mountain Adventure"

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jan 5 07:03:29 CET 2009

On Mon, 5 Jan 2009 10:07:46 am Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> In order to be available with KDE the artwork needs to be licensed under
> a compatible license. GPL and LGPL are ok, as well as some others. The
> way I propose doing this for art is the one used in libkmahjongg, if you
> guys agree:
>
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdegames/libkmahjongg/tilesets/
>
> Basically, create next to your mountain.desktop file another one with
> the copyright information, called mountain.copyright. This makes things
> clearer for everyone. Agreed?

Looks good to me, except that, for example, the alphabet.copyright file
does not say (internally) for what artwork it is asserting copyright, i.e.
what "This" refers to.  I suggest something along the lines of:

    "Alphabet tileset copyright (C) 2007 ... etc."

i.e. state name of artwork.  It  might also be a good idea to list the
actual file(s) covered by the copyright.  In source-code, I guess "this"
is OK because the notice is included in the source-code file it covers.

Hate to be legalistic, but ...

Cheers, Ian W.