[Kde-games-devel] Artwork Licensing and "Mountain Adventure"

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Mon Jan 5 00:07:46 CET 2009

Parker Coates wrote:

> At moment I simply give credit in the description section of the
> theme's .desktop file ("Sprites by Nicu Buculei. Background by Eugene
> Trounev.") but is that sufficient?
>
> This also raises an interesting question about KHNS integration. All
> artwork included in the KDEGames package is GPL by default, but is
> there any license applied to artwork downloaded via KHNS?

In order to be available with KDE the artwork needs to be licensed under
a compatible license. GPL and LGPL are ok, as well as some others. The
way I propose doing this for art is the one used in libkmahjongg, if you
guys agree:

http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdegames/libkmahjongg/tilesets/

Basically, create next to your mountain.desktop file another one with
the copyright information, called mountain.copyright. This makes things
clearer for everyone. Agreed?

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini