[Kde-games-devel] Questions about basic game programming

Pierre Maurier pierre.maurier at gadz.org
Fri Feb 20 23:03:13 CET 2009

Le vendredi 20 février 2009 22:35:08 Stefan Majewsky, vous avez écrit :
> Where do you draw the line between coder and developer?

I don't consider myself as a coder or a developer... I have only few notions
of coding, enough to write little programs, but not enough to be a coder.

I spend most of my time trying to solve trivial issues...

For example, I don't even know how to deal with global variables. I have read
that I have to avoid using global variables, but I don't see a way to do
programs without them :

Here, I have a variable that set the number of columns my game have. How can I
use this number across my different classes without using a global variable ?

I learned how to code by myself, first on my calculator, then with some bash
scripts, then Action Script and PHP...  now with Python.... but I don't have
the basic reflexes (way of thinking ?) of a coder... I have tried to learn C
few years ago and I find it soooo hard...

Sorry for that "my life" post.

Regards,

--
Pierre Maurier