[Kde-games-devel] Lightened tile shadow for classic theme

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 20 22:09:30 CET 2009

Wolfgang Rohdewald wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 19. Februar 2009, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> I also completely re-did the shadows. The problem with the old shadows
>> is that they use blur in the svg (which isn't yet supported by Qt), so
>> inkscape renders them very differently from Qt. The new shadows are
>> simple gradients (which also don't slow inkscape to a crawl!) so they
>> look the same in-game as in inkscape.
>
> does that also mean the shadows correct if two of them overlap? Right now the
> combined shadow is darker than a single shadow which I think is wrong.

I don't think that's generally possible to fix "well" without a totally
different shadow model (i.e. actually draw shadows in libkmahjongg
instead of having them faked in the tileset graphics).

Although... since the shadows are soft-edged in mine, I think it's less
noticeable (there is still the "dimple" between two tiles, though).

> It might also be useful to have separate SVG elements for the borders
> and shadows with predictable names - that would make it possible for
> the application to explicitly draw only the face and shadows only where
> needed. Then, the drawing order would be irrelevant - now the tiles have
> to be ordered depending on the light angle

Right. This is something I've thought of from when I was writing an
OpenGL-based 3d mahjongg.

(If we do anything like that, PLEASE do it so it will work with 3d tiles
also!)

--
Matthew
"Sorry. Wrong species." -- Unknown episode of Star Trek: TNG