[Kde-games-devel] Questions about basic game programming

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 19 22:40:06 CET 2009

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 07:21:02 am Pierre Maurier wrote:
> I want to trigger an action every x milliseconds, should I use a QTimer or
> the QObject timer ?

Use QTimer, it's easiest to program ... :-) ... but it requires a "slot" and
a "connect".  Can you program those in Python?  Otherwise, QBasicTimer
would be the next easiest, but you have to program a timerEvent.

> My game is a tetris-like but isn't with the tetris rules, it's just a
> puzzle- game. In fact the only similarities it has with tetris is the shape
> of the blocks. After that it uses colors, and also an other system for
> block interactions.
>
> It's an original concept, I don't even know if the game will be interesting
> to play or totally boring. On paper it seems good... but I have to play it
> to see.

Maybe your game is related to "polyomino" games.  There used to be a craze
for those long before KDE Games, maybe even before Tetris!  There is quite
an extensive literature on them, including the mathematics behind them.

    http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyomino
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyomino

The English version has more info than the French, plus some diagrams.

All the best, Ian W.