[Kde-games-devel] [New comment for kshisen]

Mauricio Piacentini piacentini at kde.org
Mon Feb 2 00:54:45 CET 2009

>> So i guess we have tree options:
>> just remove comments
>> add email address support (Amarok way)
>> get a forum on forums.k.o and send users there + removing our comments

The way I see it, the problem is communicating to users what they could
expect when they interact with kdegames.
If someone comments on games.kde.org now, he/she might think that "KDE"
will read all comments, and maybe reply to them. Most authors of games
do not scan the comments regularly, so this expectation fails, and this
might even turn away someone that otherwise could be a good contributor
to KDE. Or, worse yet, the author could try to reply via another
comment, but nothing guarantees the person that entered the initial
comment will come back to read the answer. All in all, comments are not
a good way to get feedback you can rely on, which is traceable and able
to be threaded and maintained.

I mentioned already several times that I do not like Bugzilla. But the
new version on bugs.kde.org is better, and it is still the recommended
way to get wish requests, and bug reports. So encouraging users to log
issues there is wise, as everything is logged, including the user's
email. If the current maintainer is away it is possible that 6 months
down the road someone will take over that bug (or application), and give
feedback to the user. It is a better channel for bugs and feature
requests, for sure.

Asking each game maintainer to monitor the comments is not feasible imo.
It is difficult enough for some of us to keep up with Bugzilla, really.

Ultimately I think that users should be encouraged to use the "official"
channels: bugzilla or emailing the authors directly, basically the
information that is provided in REPORT BUGS or ABOUT $X in the help menu.

But if someone volunteers to handle this communication then I am not
against it, the same applies for a board on forums.kde.org. Do we have a
volunteer for this task?

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini