[Kde-games-devel] KShisen tiles suck?

Frederik Schwarzer schwarzerf at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 13:09:21 CET 2009

Hi,

I just took a look at the KShisen website[1] and couldn't avoid reading the
comments section at the bottom. There seem to be quite some people out there
who dislike the new tileset (or the new representation of the tiles?).
(interesting that there are no such comments on the KMahjongg site[2])

Is it possible that the default tileset is not a good choice?
I do not like them much but I consider this a case of taste, not of general
suckiness. I cannot even say why I prefer the Classic ones. I think they
are easier to percept optically because the Kanji are not that complex.
One thing that I think makes the default tiles look .. umm... a bit strange is
that the shadow at the bottom of their surface lets them look like they have a
round edge there. The side edges however do not reflect this shape. Maybe removing
the shadow improves the perception a bit.

Furthermore I found a few typos on the site:

Version number can be set to 1.6.1

"KShisen is a solitaire like game..."
=> solitare-like

"Remove all the tiles off the game board..."
=> from the board

"KShisen will load a default layout automaticly..."
=> automatically

"Note: The game timer will not start until you make the first move."
This is not true and not planned either (does it?) since the player could then plan the moves beforehand.

"Note: Bear in mind that you can only select the tiles which have either of their vertical sides open."
This is only true for KMahjongg, not for KShisen.

"they will vanish off the game board"
=> from the game board

"they will only be removed off the board"
=> from the board

Regards

[1] http://games.kde.org/game.php?game=kshisen
[2] http://games.kde.org/game.php?game=kmahjongg