[Kde-games-devel] Adventures with Palapeli

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 22:10:29 CET 2009

On Tuesday 08 December 2009 7:48:10 am Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> Now open the save file (the one with ".save" at the end). In the group
> "SaveGame", you see key-value pairs of piece ID and some normalized
>  position. Simply set the normalized position of most pieces to the same
>  value, and they will appear connected when you launch the puzzle for the
>  next time. Because it's already quite late, I'll leave it as an exercise
>  to the reader to write a script that creates such a test-case save file.

That worked brilliantly and I now have a test-case of a 1000-piece puzzle
with about 800 pieces solved.  No need for a script ... just one "line editor"
command in vi, :202,$ s/=.*$/=<X from line 201> <Y from line 201>/

The slowness in fitting one piece is reproducible, as is a simpler case of
slowness when just trying to drag the 800-odd pieces in the solved part.

I will investigate the problem in more detail over the next week or two,
putting timing and debug messages in Palapeli or QGV, as required.

Christmas time in Australia is also the beginning of the summer holiday
season, so I will fit Palapeli work in when I can.  However I think if I can
nail it down to a simple test-case it will be sufficient to solve the problem
(wherever it lies) in time for KDE 4.5, when Palapeli starts to provide more
support for large puzzles.  It would be nice to solve it in 4.4, but ... :-)

I will keep you posted.  Cheers, Ian W.