[Kde-games-devel] Kubrick: duplicate menu item "Main Demo"

Ian Wadham ianw2 at optusnet.com.au
Tue Oct 28 04:02:56 CET 2008

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 09:29:07 am Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dilluns 27 Octubre 2008, Ian Wadham va escriure:
> > And (to Parker) I wish to retain the icons and other advantages that
> > come with using KStandardGameAction, rather than make up a
> > Main Demo action from scratch.
> >
> > However, since KDE 4.0, I notice there is menu for Move in KGoldrunner
> > with a singleton item for Hint, which to my mind is like feathers on a
> > dog.
> >
> > I might just use Albert's idea to remove that menu and put Hint back
> > where it was in the KDE 3 versions of KGoldrunner, i.e. in Game and
> > also in Help ... ;-)  Any objections anyone?
>
> You wish to remain standard, why would you wish that with regard to Demo
> and would not want it with regard to Hint?

Well, Kubrick has several Move options and I do not mind Demo appearing
among them, even though I do not really believe it is a "move".  I do not
believe Hint is a "move" either, except that some games show you a move
when you ask for a hint.  In KGoldrunner a hint is a text message and more
like a Help or Game action, I would say.

It is also absurd that, because there are no other "standard" Move options in
KGoldrunner, the Hint option is appearing on a menu by itself and that is not
good GUI design.  And would an end-user think of looking for it there?  So
I might group Hint elsewhere, where it more appropriately belongs.

BTW, I have been a champion of standards for many decades and have
written several standards manuals, but I do not believe in mindless
adherence to standards as a substitute for thought.  They are there to guide
us and help us, and to help end-users, but it is unlikely that they can
foresee and cater for all situations that arise in games programs.

Douglas Bader, a fighter pilot in World War II, lost both his legs in a
crash and was told he was not allowed to fly again because it was
"against the rules" --- even though he could, having conquered his
disability.  He replied, "Rules were made for the obedience of fools
and the guidance of wise men."

The thing is to think about the *objectives* of a standard, if you
see a need to depart from the detailed rules, and to think carefully
about which of Bader's categories you might be falling into if you
decide to break the rules a little.

Anyway, who makes the KDE Games standards up?  It's us, isn't it?

Rant over, Ian W. ... :-)