[Kde-games-devel] Kolf rewrite (includes important design question even for non-coders)

Eugene Trounev eugene.trounev at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 15:25:37 CET 2008

> To Eugene and all other artists: Do you think a 3D view is possible with 2D
> SVG textures? I mean, the textures will have to look good from virtually
> all view directions.
Well, that  depends on what you mean by <3D view>. If you mean you want to
make a fully 3D game, using OpenGL an friends, then those textures can be from
SVG and they will look *right* from any viewing angle, as it will be OpenGL
turning  and bending them. Now, if you mean to make a 2D game imitating 3D by
using isometric graphics then we have a problem. The only way for an isometric
game to do a full scene rotation is if the tileset includes all the possible
tile projections.... (Lots of tiles :) ) We already have something like that
in KMahjongg. Not sure which way you want to go though.

Anyhow, do come to IRC for an in details discussion.