[Kde-games-devel] Kolf rewrite (includes important design question even for non-coders)

Stefan Majewsky majewsky at gmx.net
Thu Nov 27 22:20:03 CET 2008

On Freitag 21 November 2008 21:24:42 Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> On Freitag 21 November 2008 18:46:39 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > What could be done, and actually not be much more complicated than the
> > > current 2D view, is an ‘isometric’ projection, which does not require a
> > > graphics card, and therefore can use ordinary SVG files:
> >
> > That, especially with the ability to rotate the view, would I think be a
> > huge improvement :-). Right now I find I often can't tell what the
> > slopes are worth anything. But... would the round slopes work?
>
> "Not much more complicated" is not the right word in my POV. With an
> rotateable isometric projection, you get a 3D view. (One could of course
> limit it to specific height angles, but one will always have to make a 3D
> scene.)

I see (also from my blog) that many people want an isometric view. Yet, the
editor will most definitely also require a bird's-eye view.

To all QGraphicsView experts out there: Do you think it might be possible to
make a Pseudo3DGraphicsScene? That is, you have some kind of 3D graphics scene
connected to one or multiple normal QGraphicsScenes which represent a certain
viewport on the 3D scene. The 3D scene would then care about providing
projections of the 3D items to the 2D QGraphicsScenes, and forwarding mouse
events etc. to the 3D items. Is this possible, or is there even a better
solution?

To Eugene and all other artists: Do you think a 3D view is possible with 2D
SVG textures? I mean, the textures will have to look good from virtually all
view directions.

Thanks for any input.

Greetings
Stefan