[Kde-games-devel] Kolf rewrite (includes important design question even for non-coders)

Stefan Majewsky majewsky at gmx.net
Fri Nov 21 21:24:42 CET 2008

On Freitag 21 November 2008 18:46:39 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:
> [...]
> > What could be done, and actually not be much more complicated than the
> > current 2D view, is an ‘isometric’ projection, which does not require a
> > graphics card, and therefore can use ordinary SVG files:
>
> That, especially with the ability to rotate the view, would I think be a
> huge improvement :-). Right now I find I often can't tell what the
> slopes are worth anything. But... would the round slopes work?

"Not much more complicated" is not the right word in my POV. With an
rotateable isometric projection, you get a 3D view. (One could of course limit
it to specific height angles, but one will always have to make a 3D scene.)

I would very much prefer the classic Kolf view anyway: To me, it is an
important part of Kolf's spirit. It looks friendly and simple, nothing is
obfuscated by something standing in front of it, and (last but not least) its
code is simple to write and maintain.

On to the public announcement: The first two base classes are available for
discussion in trunk/playground/games/kolf-ng (along with documentation). It
does compile already, but does nothing, and is therefore disabled in the
CMakeLists.txt for the module.

Greetings
Stefan