[Kde-games-devel] README.PACKAGERS

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Nov 24 09:12:42 CET 2008

A Dilluns 24 Novembre 2008, Albert Astals Cid va escriure:
> A Dilluns 24 Novembre 2008, Kleag va escriure:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Updating before commiting a bug correction, I just see that the
> > README.PACKAGERS files have been added to kdegames and I wonder when the
> > list of games in each category have been decided ? Was it during a
> > meeting I missed ? But I think this should be discussed here where
> > everybody can argue (yes we don't want endless arguements, but...).
> >
> > While I can agree with MINIMAL (but why kdiamonds ? Is it so famous ?), I
> > cannot with EXTENDED and EXTRA. I'll talk here only about games I'd like
> > to see in EXTENDED and not EXTRA even if I personnaly don't like some of
> > the games currently in EXTENDED or if I consider them not so important.
> >
> > First, ktuberling. It's a must-have. My children would be horrified by a
> > distro without this game ! Little children LOVE this game.
> >
> > And now, my beloved KsirK. Yes, I agree it's not "very minimal", but I
> > think it's enough "high quality" and have a "large user base". For the
> > first point, I spent a lot of time to obtain such a quality and was help
> > by quite a few people. And I continue, killing bugs as quickly as I can.
> > And for the second point, see the numbers at kde-apps.org
> > (http://kdeapps.org/index.php?xsortmode=down&page=0&xcontentmode=250x251x
> >25 2x253x254). And I don't think that it could be said as not "casual
> > desktop game", because this term is too fuzzy to be a definition.
> >
> > So, what's your opinion ?
>
> I remember we spoke about something similar at akademy, not sure if there
> was any followup in IRC or not.
>
> Anyways my idea was INCLUDING more games not EXCLUDING them.

Let me explain what i meant by including and not excluding.

We had 4 categories, minimal, extended, extra and friends.
In my mind:

	MINIMAL is the basic desktop games, to discuss which ones, but for me it is
clear that KPat is basic while KTuberling is not.

	EXTENDED is the rest of kdegames.

	EXTRA is games on extragear or playground (not inside kdegames but still
inside kde repo umbrella)

	FRIENDS is games not inside kde repo umbrella that we want to mention.

So basically my idea is just one README.PACKAGERS with 4 lists.

What this does is incrementing visibility of EXTRA and FRIENDS, giving a hint
of MINIMAL and not hurting developers because their game was not included in
X but on Y.

Albert