[Kde-games-devel] Kolf -> Playgroung

Stefan Majewsky majewsky at gmx.net
Tue Nov 18 10:02:23 CET 2008

On Montag 17 November 2008 23:39:46 Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> It would be nice if someone with some insight into the game could provide
> us with an overview. From what I know, the state could be anything from
> "has some major bugs which could still be ironed out in this or the next
> release cycle" to "absolutely mislead design, needs to be rewritten".

I have read a bit of Kolf code. From my first impression it is quite awkward.
The game.cpp is twice as big as the whole KDiamond (nearly 5000 LOC in one
file is far from readability), and everything seems to use quirky
constructions. The syntax is inconsistent and has been used inefficiently.
Comments are used very... economical. Also, Qt4 classes are not used where
appropriate. The Ball:collisionDetect, likely the cause of many problems, is
nearly 300 LOC and also far from readability. The next method is also 100 LOC
and even documented as a "rather ugly bit of code". The Ball class has two
totally different moveBy methods (I do still not know when one should use the
one or the other, the difference is something that QGV should handle for one
automatically).

All in all, this looks like the next Kicker: Its authors have done great
things, yet its design is based on deprecated paradigms and frameworks, and
therefore needs to be thrown away.

By the way, is the obvious typo in ball.cpp:314 a cause of some of the issues
people report? I do not know how to reproduce them, so I cannot comment on
this.

Stefan